Associate of Applied Science | 63 credits minimum
Academic and Career Advising
The Financial Services AAS prepares students for work in the Financial Services industry which includes brokerage firms, banks and insurance companies.
Projected as the 4th fastest growing occupation, Personal Financial Advisors represent an attractive opportunity for employment with competitive median hourly wages of $35.70. Numerous large Financial Services employers operate service centers in the Salt Lake area. Banks, full-service brokerage firms and insurance companies also employ Finance graduates.
The Finance department has an articulation agreement with the University of Utah College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Certified Financial Planner program. Students who take FIN 1050 Personal Finance and FIN 2200 Financial Planning at SLCC qualify as having taken FCS 3500 Financial Skills for Life at the University of Utah. They also receive automatic acceptance to the BS in Family and Consumer Studies CFP program.
Estimated Cost for Students
Tuition and student fees: http://www.slcc.edu/student/financial/tuition-fees.aspx
General Education Requirements
Complete all General Education courses. Refer to Notes for program specific requirements and recommendations.
Program General Education Notes
Quantitative Studies (QS): FIN 1380
Communication (CM): BUS 2200
Human Relations (HR): MKTG 1010
Required Courses (34 Credits)
Elective Courses (15 credits)
Choose a minimum of 15 credits from any course. You can choose either the suggested electives listed below, or you can use electives to meet general education requirements:
Time to Completion & Graduation Map
Program Learning Outcomes
Program learning outcome alignment with Student Learning Outcomes in brackets.
- Prepare Personal Financial Plans. [1,2,3,4,7,8,9]
- Make Investment Recommendations to Clients. [1,2,3,4,7,8,9]
- Analyze Investment Options. [1,3,4,5,8]
- Understand Economic Cycles and Indicators. [1,3,4,8]
- Perform steps of the Financial Planning Process. [1,2,4,7]
- Identify Investment Options, [1,3,4,7,8]
- Communicate Plan Recommendations to Clients. [1,2,3,4,5,7]
- Communicate Effectively while working in Groups. [2,7]
- Communicate Effectively Numerically. [1,2,3,9]
- Perform Financial Calculations. [1,3,4,9]
- Use Excel Financial Functions. [3,9]
- Read and Interpret Financial Statements. [1,3,4,5,8,9]