Associate of Science | 60 credits minimum
Division of Natural Sciences
Taylorsville Redwood Campus SI 341
General Information 801-957-4827
Program Information 801-957-4150
Academic and Career Advising
Academic Advisor SI 201b, 801-957-4858
Instructors − Joel Clarkston, Michael Stenquist
Mechanical Engineering Technology - the mechanical engineering technician provides support for design engineers as quality technicians, drafter/designers, and document specialists. Earning an AS degree while focusing on mechanical engineering technology provides students with the CAD/CAM, solid modeling design, and basic machining skills required for placement in the industry as technicians, but is specifically for students wishing to transfer into the mechanical engineering technology bachelor of science degree program at Weber State University.
Two year graduates in Mechanical Engineering Technology start at an average of $33,000 per year. Bachelor degree graduates start at $56,000. Graduates with BS degrees find jobs as technical designers, quality engineers, process engineers and project managers.
The degree also provides two years for transfer into the Mechanical Engineering Technology Bachelor of Science at Weber State University.
Admission into a major program at a transfer institution depends upon the receiving institution’s requirements for that major. Some major programs are restricted and require special application as well as a competitive GPA. See an Academic Advisor at both SLCC and the intended receiving institution for specific articulation information.
Estimated Cost for Students
Tuition and student fees: http://www.slcc.edu/student/financial/tuition-fees.aspx
Estimated Time to Completion
If students follow the suggested semester schedule, time to completion is four semesters.
|Program Student Learning Outcomes
||Related College-Wide Student Learning Outcomes
||1 - Acquire substantive knowledge
2 - Communicate effectively
3 - Develop quantitative literacies
4 - Think critically and creatively
5 - Develop knowledge and skills to be civically engaged
6 - Develop the knowledge and skills to work with others in a professional and constructive manner
7 - Develop computer and information literacy
8 - Develop the attitudes and skills for lifelong wellness
|General Education required for AS degrees
||2, 3, 4, 5
|Drafting and CAD Fundamentals
- produce drawings that demonstrate competency in AutoCAD and are neat and professional
- demonstrate proficiency with drawing and screen setup: layouts, layers, dimension styles, scale factors, blocks, profiles, and plotting
- demonstrate knowledge of CAD commands and use them appropriately for efficiency and accuracy (EDDT 1040 , EDDT 1100 )
|Depth in Mechanical Design
- demonstrate knowledge of industrial materials and processes and the principles of material behavior.
- demonstrate ability to apply this knowledge in hands-on lab experience with molding, welding, casting and forming.
- participate as a member of a design team to create designs and finished products (EDDT 2340 , EDDT 2350 ).
- demonstrate knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing symbols and applications of form, function, and tolerances.
- produce drawings with correctly applied symbols.
- demonstrate understanding of the use of GD&T in automated manufacturing and quality inspection (EDDT 2540 ).
- demonstrate knowledge of solid modeling tools, creating and defining sketches, 3D features, mating assemblies, design tables, and fabrication and assembly drawings from models.
- produce accurate parts, assemblies, and drawings per industry standard.
- demonstrate the ability to analyze design intent and process (EDDT 2600 ).
|Machining, and CAD/CAM
- demonstrate knowledge of safety rules and identify the various machining processes and equipment.
- demonstrate competency in the operation of lathes, grinders and mills.
- produce precision parts to design specification and demonstrate the ability to use precision measuring equipment (MCCT 1500 , MCCT 1510 ).
- demonstrate the proper use of CAM software
- demonstrate knowledge of post processing
- be evaluated on their participation in a concurrent engineering team with other students to design, layout, and build a project.
- produce project documentation and perform inspection on finished product (MCCT 2650 ).
|1, 2, 5